This homeopathy FAQs page includes answers to various commonly asked questions about homeopathy, specialization in homeopathy and modalities etc.
- How can a person be treated online without physical examination?
- Does homeopathy have any harmful side effects?
- How long does it take to cure?
- Can homeopathy be used alongside another treatment system?
- What are modalities in homeopathy?
- Are there specialists for various diseases in homeopathy?
- How should homeopathic medicines be taken?
- How to store homeopathic medicines?
Q: How can a person be treated online without physical examination?
Since physical examination through Internet is not possible, the practitioner has to get the information through a questionnaire provided to the patient. Every practitioner has his own format of questionnaire and set of questions depending upon his/her experience and method of treatment. The patient must always reply the questionnaire completely and accurately because that is the information available to the practitioner to make out suitable treatment plan. Alternately, the patient can provide the information either over the phone or through email.
Q: Are there any side effects of homeopathic medicines?
It is a very friendly health care system and it is well known that homeopathic medicines have no known harmful side effects. This fact has stood the test of time and is a strong point of homeopathy but this does not mean that one can pick any medicine and start using it. In most cases there are dozens of medicines for apparently similar ailment but each of those cannot be used in every case. It must be chosen according to symptoms peculiar to the individual. Incorrectly chosen medicine may result in disappointment. This is why self-medication, inappropriate use or repetition of doses without the advice of a professional homeopath is not recommended. One should prefer to consult an experienced homeopath.
Q: How long does it take to cure
Treatment time depends on the nature and severity of the case, regularity of treatment, patient’s response to medicine and many other factors. Usually acute cases respond earlier whereas chronic cases take time. This is true for all the healing systems. Homeopathic treatment is said to be a slower system, which is not correct. In certain acute cases, homeopathy can give instant relief.
Q: Can homeopathy be used alongside another treatment system?
Every healing system has its own some basis, philosophy and system of medicines. It is generally recommended that only one medical system be used at a time to avoid any disagreement between the action of medicines. If you are under some kind of compulsion to use medicines from some other system along with homeopathic medicines, ask your homeopath how to manage them.
Q: What are modalities in homeopathy?
Lots of ailments are aggravated or ameliorated (becoming better) by different factors. Such factors may be any thing like a specific climatic condition, specific posture, particular condition or situation, particular time of the day, particular food item or whatever. Such influencing factors are called "Modalities". For example, for one individual backache may be worse in the morning, for another it may be worse while at rest and yet for another person, it might be more troublesome while moving about. Similarly, other ailments have their own modalities.
Homeopathic medicines are chosen keeping the modalities in view, which at times, become the deciding factor while making out the treatment plan. You must tell the doctor what makes your problem worse or better so that he/she can treat you correctly. Do not ever consider a modality irrelevant.
Q: Are there specialists for various diseases in homeopathy?
In some treatment systems, there is a specialist for every organ of the body but it is not so in homeopathy. Since the human body always works as one integrated unit while performing any function, homeopathic medicines are always chosen according to total picture of the symptoms.
Homeopathic medicines are capable of covering immensely wide range of symptoms and multiple problems in the whole body, much wider than other systems. Their effects are not limited to one or two organs. Thus a homeopath can treat all organs and all types of diseases. There is no concept of specialization in classical homeopathy unless a homeopath imposes restrictions on himself and takes selected cases only.
Q: How homeopathic medicines should be taken?
There are various ways of taking the medicine. Your homeopath would advise you accordingly.
Q: How should homeopathic medicines be stored?
- Homeopathic medicines have a long storage life. If they are in the form of liquid, made in alcohol, the life will be as much as the life of alcohol. All you need to do is to keep the lid tight to prevent evaporation. Mother tinctures prepared in water have shorter shelf life.
- Homeopathic medicines in the form of globules, tablets or powder form can last for many years, if stored appropriately.
- Glass bottles should not be stored in strong light, especially sunlight.
- Should be kept away from strong smelling items like perfumes etc. Never store them in your kitchen (which has maximum variety of smells). Even if the bottle is airtight, it should preferably be stored cautiously.
- It is not necessary to keep homeopathic medicines in a refrigerator. It is good enough to keep them at normal room temperature.
- Avoid placing them near a TV set, computer, cell phone or other such gadget that emits rays. The rays are very likely to damage the delicate nature of the medicines and destroy their efficacy.
If you still have a question, you may like to contact us. We shall be happy to help you.